Our Favourite Blondies
Watch the recipe video
We believe (as other food historians do) that blondies are the original brownies. Take a look at our recipe for "Fannie Farmer's 1896 Brownies Recipe", there isn't any chocolate! Chocolate wasn't widespread until 30-40 years later, and was added as a replacement to molasses in the original recipe as tastes changed.
This is why many people refer to these as 'blonde brownies' or 'blondie brownies'.
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped pecans
- 1½ cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- 12 Tbsp (180 mL) unsalted butter (1½ sticks), melted and cooled
- 1½ cups (375 mL) packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tsp (20 mL) vanilla extract
- 1 cup (250 mL) chocolate chips